Hey guys ,
I have been requested to share the recipie for the dorset apple cake I made a few weeks ago. I shared a picture of it on Instagram and had over 20 likes ! I have to apologise for how long it took me to write a new blog post! (I have some more posts in the pipeline , so please hang tight! They are *imminently* on their way! ).
Dorset apple, pumpkin and caramel cake
(Serves 8 approx)
You will need:
- 1 large Bramley apple
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice (nutmeg and cinnamon are good choices!)
- 125g cold butter, diced
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs (beaten)
To make the cake :
1. Preheat the oven to 190’C (gas mark 5) and lightly grease a medium sized cake tin. Peel the apple , cut it into quarters and remove the core. Reserve one of the quarters and dice the rest.
2. Sift the flour , baking powder and mixed spice into a large bowl. Rub in the diced butter to form fine breadcrumbs.
3. Stir in the diced apple , sugar , and pumpkin puree , then gradually stir in the beaten eggs to form a stiff mixture. Spoon into the prepared tin and level the surface with the back of a spoon. Thinly slice the reserved apple quarter and arrange on top of the cake.
4. Bake for 30-40mins , until its springy to touch. Leave in the tin to cool for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely ,then slice and serve drizzled in caramel sauce!
Writing this post has made me hungry! Let me know if you make this – Please tag me on my Instagram , I’d love to see!!